Saturday, April 07, 2007

Here's a tour of my new rack favorites from early April, 2007

Avett Brothers - "Pretty Girl From Chile"
Probably a bit too pop for the country shows and a bit too country for the pop shows, which is a shame because this band's releases get better every time out. A jaunty heartbreaking epic in four parts, the singer mourns the dissolution of his relationship with the titular character named Gabriella. He's honest that he could have been a better partner, but that doesn't stop him from painfully needing her back in his life. The killer is a sampled phone message in the middle of the song where Gabriella herself tosses off the song with a "you're so silly," indirectly making it very clear there will be so reconciliation. Played on 3/29/07 and a definite candidate for the end-of-year disc. Oh yeah the rest of the album is quite enjoyable as well, but this is the jewel in the crown.

Limbeck - "Let's Get Crazy"
A mix of retro-60s pop with glam elements and a dash of Tom Petty-esque keys. It's got a girl group beat in its heart (with male vocals though) but there's a fuller sound with some Marc Bolan style in the vocals. This tune is definitely a winner though I struggled to find another one even close to its equal on the disc.

Kitcar - "My Relation To Her"
I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to production which is where this disc falls down. Very muddy and thin, suggesting an early 90's self-release level of competence. Too bad because I bet they can punch a hole though the back of the room in a live setting. Chiming guitar rock with some hoarse vocals, appreciated in this era of oversinging.

Ral Partha Vogelbacher - "CDB International Park"
Shifty rock tune trys out a few tempos with a very heavy stoner rock core but more Polvo-ish in the vocals. The repetitive synth line (or is that a very high guitar?) reminds me of late 70's Rush.

The Almost - "Stop It"
Side project of Underoath drummer which means there's a healthy dollop of commerical emo over-singing on this one. But the guitar rock is solid enough and the verses actually contain a little vocal subtlety believe it or not. Reminiscent of that last Sunny Day Real Estate record which is a plus, not a negative.

Idlewild - "If It Takes You Home"
One of the litany of UK bands that get majorly overhyped upon debut yet stumble into their 2nd or 3rd release with relatively little fanfare. Remember JJ72? Well, neither do I. Truthfull these guys are nothing like JJ72, instead offering superslick driving monster guitars with upbeat tempos. This album seems to lose focus, I guess they're searching for a hit that will eventually provide them with a new sonic direction.

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - "The World Stops Turning"
How many names has this band used? It was "/Pharmacists" on one release, wasn't it "+ Pharmacists" on another? I guess as the members change so does the name. In any case no surprises here for Ted Leo fans, it's perfectly produced power pop with a UK '79 flavour to it. Probably his most consistent album, usually I play "search for the hit" with Ted Leo records but there was plenty to choose from here. Played this 3/29/07.

The Eames Era - "All Bets Are Off"
These pure poppers have a similar style to Sarge/The Reputation and had one killer song on an early ep called "Could Be Anything." Since then they've struggled to capture my attention. To make things worse this song curses precluding any airplay considerations. She just doesn't loosen up her vocals loosen up to make the songs move beyond a pleasant Velocity Girl b-side groove.

Joy Electric - "Red Will Dye These Snows of Silver"
New wave revivalists are back, though personally I think The Brothers Martin side project is far superior to this new release. Too overproduced for my tastes, it's very busy with many elements (such as highly interlaced backing vocals) competiting for attention. This song did make for a topical spin on 4/5/07 since a trucker dropped some containers of red dye on 495 North a couple days before the show.

Blonde Redhead - "Top Ranking"
Not a cover, not even a facsimilie. Just another quality Blonde Redhead song. This album is a bit more shoegazery than their last few, there isn't any of the space that made Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons my favourite album by them. I guess they've left that sound for Deerhoof to screw up. Still I have no complaints with this effort, after one spin of the disc half the songs were competing for my immediate attention.

Small Sails - "Aftershocks and Afterthoughts"
Looking back through my notes I have this song on an August-06 sampler as well, I think it captured my attention on a PDX pop compilation. In any case it's no mistake that I grabbed it a second time, these blisspoppy instrumentals with wordless female vocals have a dash of new wave style to them. Good enough to play in the foreground on 4/5/07.

Cornelius - "Magic"
It's been a long layover between Cornelius releases, and while this one is as meticulously constructed as any of his records it does lack the pure fun of his earlier stuff. Cornelius to me is a celebration of music and style, this album is very consistent and deliberate. Hard to find many "gosh that's so beautiful" moments though this song is one of them, played on 4/5/07.

Yppah - "In Two, The Weakly"
Ninja Tune goes blisspop, and does it quite well as you'd expect. This album is not an aural landscape painting like most records from the genre, instead mixing in glitchy beats with droney guitars for an altogether different vibe. Used as concert report music on 4/5/07.

Dntel - "Natural Resources"
Anyone expecting a Postal Service record with guest vocalists instead of Ben is going to be sadly disappointed. The pace gets glacial on many of these tunes, and organic elements pepper these fussy tunes. Not complaining mind you, just setting expectations. This is a lovely slow tempo tune with bleating horns and haunting keyboards/samples that give it an underwater/drowning feeling. Fog provides the vocals and I would bet had some influence over the music as well.

Tin Cup Prophette - "Going Numb"
Delicately plucked strings provide the rapid-fire backing to this tune, though I hesitate to tag it as 'delicate.' Even though there are also some well placed chimes and maudlin strings in the mix. If anything it reminds me of a friendlier Shannon Wright tune, with some playfully dour female vocals and a persistent urgency despite the now-I'm-here-now-I'm-not drums and bass. This will be a good back-to-back selection with Blonde Redhead for next week's show.

The Cripple Lilies - "Early In The Morning (Space For Leda)"
Has an indie pop meets country folk feel to it, like when Belle & Sebastian try out a country tune. Retro-70's without sounding like it's actually from that era, probably due to the churchy keyboards and honest vocals. I though Lilies was spelled with three L's?

Nathan - "Ordinary Day"
As I mentioned on the 4/5/07 show, Doug of the Lost Highway program likes to pepper the indie section of our new rack (internally called "blue dot" due to the blue dots we paste on the spine) with some friendly country fare in hopes of snaring a spin from the BoC dj's. It rarely works, and believe me he grumbles about it quite a bit. So with a heart full of sympathy for my friend's frustrations I spun this banjo-laden tune on 4/5/07. Has those sweet country girl vocals that paint a melancholy picture of small town life and unwanted stalkers.

Elk City - "Los Cruzados"
The new effort by this NJ (or is it NY now?) based band didn't even last a week in our new rack before going AWOL, most likely misfiled into permanent obscurity. Believe me, misfiling something in the voluminous WMBR library means it's pretty much lost for good. Too bad as I do adore this band and their complicated brand of indie-rock with pleasantly awkward female vocals splayed across a multi-instrumental canvas of gorgeous guitar playing. Will have to pick this one up and get it a spin.

The Pierces - "Ruin"
Female duo that isn't afraid to put a pretty face to their names, at least on the inside of the digipack. Unfortunately I didn't find much I enjoyed beyond that, other than this Bangles-y tune that would slot well on a Anna Waronker record. Could only find one other song that didn't turn me off with the vocal treatment.

Laura Veirs - "Drink Deep"
Everyone's favorite sexy librarian is back! Ok, I don't know if she's ever been a librarian, but she looks like the librarian of my dreams. Every album I mutter to myself, "I need to pick this one up!" and never do, so sorry Laura! I promise to make it up to you by purchasing everything in sight the next time you come to Boston and aren't supporting some desperately tepid major-label act with an inflated ticket charge (Note: that's 5/15 at ME up). I don't think I've ever included her on a best of either, which is a crime on my part. Her voice has such character, especially the way she phrases and punctuates certain words. When she sings "gasping" in this song you can almost hear her catching her breath. You can have your Neko Case folks, just leave me Laura.

The Icicles - "Regret"
The cherry on this week's sundae is this twee-pop confection by The Icicles. Not a New Order cover, but instead a jangly original with some nice Byrds-y backing vocals and a fantastic chorus. This one generates a positive Velocity Girl association, not a negative one.

No comments: