Monday, July 27, 2009

Every five days I shine the spotlight on stellar tracks from new releases, this edition is a bit sedate but hopefully worthy.

Cursing At The Sky

Chain and the Gang – Ian Svenonius’ new thing didn’t impress me until I hit this song about an unlucky individual who happens across three people near death, each with an improbable story to divulge. The female backing vocals are critical.

Grizzly Bear – The latest big thing’s new thing didn’t impress me until I hit this song on my drivin’ around mix and said “Hey, that sounds good” without realizing it was Grizzly Bear. Powerfully loping with a rush and a push but the land is never really quite theirs.

The Binary Marketing Show – Definitely the discovery of this 8-pack for me, I paid it the ultimate dj compliment by sending them money for the full length. As unpredictable as a good Long Fin Killie record, but in a very different way.

City Center – Side project with Fred Thomas of SLGTM, but without the 60’s Brill building girl-group pop obsession. If that makes you pause and ask, “Hey if you take that away from SLGTM what’s left?” well here’s the answer.

Cass McCombs – Not quite as affecting as previous releases from Mr. McCombs but that by no means should be seen as a denigration of this aural carousel.

Broken Records – With a name like that I expected energetic punk, not this haunted fragment of a spider web filled with the remnants of survival stories gone awry.

Misty Roses – With a name like that I expected retro-folk Tim Hardin style, and for sure that’s what we get here with an eerily accurate Scott Walker early solo vibe as well. Doesn’t quite possess the grandeur, but doesn’t really try for it either and that makes it all the more authentic.

Mocky – I needed to provide you with some sort of fun now didn’t I? Whenever Gonzalez shows up somewhere other than on his own releases I pay attention, as his true value is almost always realized as a guest star.

No comments: